The objectives of the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards are:
- To reward and honour those who "cook with words".
- To help readers find the best out of the 26,000 food and wine books produced every year.
- To help publishers with international rights to translate and distribute food and wine books.
- To help book retailers find the 50 food and wine books that each year should be offered to clients.
- To create an opportunity to access the major markets in English, Chinese, German, Spanish or French for books originated in other languages.
- To increase knowledge and respect for food and wine culture.
|Édouard Cointreau, founder of the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards|
The awards also focus on self-published books and digital media, as founder Edouard Cointreau recognises this as the fastest growing segment in publishing. It is free competition and open to publishers in all languages and countries. The Gourmand Awards celebrate global cookbook and wine book publishing and feature many world-renowned chefs each year.
The 2016 Gourmand World Cookbook Awards will take place in Yantai, China, on the 29th of May. This year there are 14 entries shortlisted from the island of Ireland and those on the Cookbooks and Food Culture Shortlist 2016 are: