Turkey is becoming very popular because it is relatively low in cholesterol and high in vitamins that boost the immune system. It's also very juicy and tasty!
So here are some tips on how to prepare & cook your perfect Turkey!
|A juicy & tender whole roasted turkey really does add to the sense of occasion at Christmas or Any time!|
2. It's so important that if you're buying a frozen bird, that you thaw your turkey completely before cooking. If it’s done improperly, bacteria can multiply to a point where even oven temperatures won't be able to kill all of them off. This can cause food poisoning.
The safest thing to do is to thaw your turkey in the fridge, but if you don't have the room, put it into a roasting tray in a cool room, covered with a dry cloth until it defrosts. You should leave the turkey in its original wrapper until you're ready to cook it.
5. Add some extra flavour by loosely filling the cavity of the bird with some peeled vegetables like carrots, celery, onion & garlic which work great together.
The simple rules for Turkey cooking times are:
If it weighs Less than 4kg (8½Lbs) weight cook for 20 minutes per kg
then add 70 minutes extra time.
If it weighs More than 4kg (8½Lbs) weight cook for 20 minutes per kg
and add 90 minutes extra time.
- To Convert Pounds (lbs) to Kilograms (kg) multiply by 0.46
- To Convert Kilograms (kg) to Pounds (lbs) multiply by 2.2
Here's a cooking Time example:
20 lbs weight Turkey = 20 x 0.46 = 9.2kg weight
9.2 kg x 20mins =184 minutes.
Add 90 = 274 minutes.
Divide this by 60 (minutes in an hour) = 4 hours and 35 minutes Turkey Cooking Time.
8. About 30 minutes before the turkey should be done, remove the foil from the breast to crisp up the skin.
If the juices run clear then it is cooked. If there are traces of pink in it give it another half an hour in the oven and test it again.
If you have a cooking thermometer ensure that the centre of the thickest parts return a temp of 75°C.
No. 11. Relax and Don't Panic... :)
My Favourite Stuffing Mix
|This is my recipe but you can add whatever herbs you like to your stuffing!|
Use Gluten Free Bread if you wish
Enjoy your Turkey!